Have fluid in ear and eyes are drooping. What could be the problem?

Excellent

ENT Specialist
Question
I have fluid in my ear a year ago I had to get it drained then 6 months later I got a tube before I got the tube in I had leaks through my nose and eye now all the constant dripping is only in from my ear and has gotten worse I have to change my cottonball that is soaked about every 15 minutes I was checked for cerebrosplinal and culture was negative had orbital reconstructive surgery about 20 years ago due to a thyroid problem I have noticed some eye pressure and drooping of the eye my ENT wants to remove my tube now and Im scared to go back to the hearing loss and what seems to be leaks the dripping has become frustrating I am going to see a ENT at U of M Michigan but cant get in for 3 months Im worried if I get this tube out Im right back to square one recent MRI revealed chronic inflammation of ear oto-mastoiditis opacification right mastoid air cells old medial wall fractures and opacification right middle ear cavity
Posted Sat, 23 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer: ETD, Tests, CT, retain grommet, Medication. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query. 1. The middle ear is always wet with normal secretions These secretions normally drain into the nasopharynx via the Eustachian Tube which connects the ear to the nose. Fluid draining out from a grommet (ear ventilation tube) means that there is ETD (Eustachian Tube Dysfunction). 2. Copious amounts of drainage from the middle ear through the grommet may be due to the chronic otomasoiditis as the middle ear secretes more fluid when blocked. 3. I am assuming that a Beta 2 Transferrin test was done on the nasal and ear secretions and that it was also negative. 4. A plain Sinus CT and an HRCT Temporal Bones will help. If you can upload images of these along with the MRI images, I will be able to give you an accurate assessment. 5. Removing the grommet may leave a perforation behind (and more ear drainage). When a grommet is extruded on it's own, the ear drum usually heals well. Instead, medication should help control the otomastoiditis and dry the ear I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them. Regards.

Follow-up: Have fluid in ear and eyes are drooping. What could be the problem? 1 hour later
Ok I think my MRI results said to follow up with a CT scan of temporal bones I guess my main concern is having the tube surgical pulled out then having to go back an get ear drained and tube back in the fluid is just like clear water and yes I did have that Beta 2 test done.Trying to be patient its hard to work with soggy cotton balls all day and people think your odd or contaminated.Patience

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 8 hours later
Brief Answer: As below: Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for writing back. 1. The primary aim of the grommet is ventilation and not drainage of secretions. As air flows through the middle ear, healing takes place over time. Fluid is usually drained during surgery or may occur through the tube if there is persistent ETD. Normal ear secretions are colorless, mucoid and show no sign of infection. 2. Is it possible for you to find out the exact type of ear tube placed. An endocopic image of the ear drum will help. If the ear tube (grommet) is blocked (by dried secretions, debris or blood clots), it may be gently cleaned and ear drops may be used. Removing a grommet and reinserting a new one seems to be a futile exercise. 3. Instead request your doctor to concentrate on medication. Hypothyroidism must be ruled out. The ear should eventually dry out. I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them. Regards.

Follow-up: Have fluid in ear and eyes are drooping. What could be the problem? 13 hours later
I guess there is a need to find out whats causing the ear to drain so much is that correct?If the tube is removed just because the dripping is a problem then the fluid build up has nowhere else to go.Hopefully I will get some answers when I go to U of M but Thank You for your time it was very imformative and made much more sense for me to understand the dripping is bad but hearing well is priceless

Brief Answer: As below: Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for writing back. 1. Yes, removing (or reinserting) the grommet is not the answer. 2. Increase the medication to reduce the ear secretions. 3. Get the Scans and hearing tests done. 4. You may follow up with the results directly at bit.ly/Dr-Sumit-Bhatti Wishing you a speedy recovery, Regards.

Follow-up: Have fluid in ear and eyes are drooping. What could be the problem? 24 minutes later
OK Thank You!When I get the Scans I will try to load them up for you to review

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 15 hours later
Brief Answer: As below: Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for writing back. 1. Kindly upload any previous test results. 2. Include the Tympanograms, Audiometry and Thyroid Function Tests. Wishing you good health, Regards.