Have fluid filled itchy red rashe on armpit. Is there any way to cure this?

I have red rashes with clear fluid cluster right next to my left armpit. It was not painful, tingling or itching. However it started to itch this morning, a little tingling too. What kind of rash do I have? How to treat them? Is there a way to send you pictures?
Also about 5 red spots like that on my back near my upper spinal cord as well.
Posted Sun, 20 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 13 hours later
Hi ,
Thanks for writing in.
Ive gone through the details and the image provided.
The condition appears to be herpes zoster or (shingles). It is a viral infection of skin and nerves.It can cause severe pain during or after subsidence of rash.
Treatment of the condition consists of antiviral drugs like Acyclovir or valacyclovir 3-5 times a day.Also anti inflammatory analgesic drugs like ibuprofen or tramadol is helpful.Neuroprotective agents like methylcobalamine is also indicated .
A visit to dermatologist will confirm the diagnosis and will provide prescription for required drugs.
A soothing lotion like calamine or aloe Vera lotion is effective in decreasing the symptoms.
Earlier the antivirals are started better is the outcome.
Hope this helps.
I will be available for follow up.
Dr Sudarshan
MD dermatologist.

Follow-up: Have fluid filled itchy red rashe on armpit. Is there any way to cure this? 8 hours later

Thank you for your detailed answers.

What causes shingles or herpes zoster? Is it contageous? How long does it last?

I went to Carenow before I wrote question to you and their doctor prescibed Prednisone 10mg tablets and Triamcinolone Acetonide Cream USP 0.1%. Will these two take care of the problem assuming these spots are shingles?

Do I need a doctor to prescribe Acyclovir and valacyclovir? Or are these OTC?

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 15 hours later
Thanks for feedback.

Shingles or herpes zoster is a viral infection.It lasts around 1-2 weeks.It is not contagious but if you have any babies less than 5 years then keep them away.As they can catch it from you.
Prednisone and triamcinolone cream can be taken but taking acyclovir or valacyclovir is important .You need to start them as early as possible.They are prescription drugs and need to be taken by prescription.You need to visit your GP or dermatologist to start them.

Hope this helps.