Have fluctuating BP. What is normal range for BP and ESR?

Is BP 154/89 normal for a person of 56 years old.

What abt ESR - upto what range can it go up
Is BP 110/59 normal for a person 34 yrs. Kindly cfm - Why is the BP always low - what is the remedy for same
Posted Fri, 16 Aug 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later

It is normal for blood pressure to fluctuate in a single day. Blood pressure recorded now may not be same as recorded few minutes back. These fluctuation are physiological. Therefore a single blood pressure is not considered to label the person as hypertensive or low blood pressure.

At 56 years of age, I would like to keep blood pressure under 140/90mm Hg. Therefore I don't consider the reading of 154/89 as normal. However we need to look at 3 different readings done in a week's period before taking the call of treating him.

Blood pressure of 110/59 is accepted; though technically diastolic reading (lower blood pressure) need to be above 60 to term it as normal. I would encourage this patient to drink plenty of fluid; take a healthy diet and improve her weight if it is under normal recommendation too.

In brief, both the blood pressure need to be rechecked and confirmed.

As far as ESR is concerned, value of below 20 is considered normal. 20 - 100 is abnormal, but not significant enough to raise medical attention. Value of above 100 will need evaluation.

Hope I have answered all your query. Let me know if you need clarification.