Have flu symptoms with cough and runny nose. Swollen throat after taking prednisone. Effective cure?

ENT Specialist
Last Friday I had the symptoms of the flu and it went right into my throat with laryngitis. Saturday and
Sunday I was coughing, runny nose, etc. So I went to the Dr. Monday and I had bronchitis. She put me on Amox/Clav 875 twice a day, inhalants, and prednisone. The Dr. also gave me a steroid shot. I did not take
the prednisone. I do not like medicines. I have to take synthyroid .75 everyday and nothing else.
My throat has stayed "swollen" I can drink, eat pudding and broth, but nothing solid for a week.
Last nite I took 2 prednisones, that was prescribed and will tonight. Then one for then next 5 days.
I get scared I cannot not eat yet. Do I need to wait a couple of days and the prednisone will help?
What should I do?
Posted Thu, 14 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 6 hours later

Thanks for posting the query

The sore throat is because of your sinusitis. The cough is a result of post nasal drip and inflamed mucosa of the throat secondary to the amoxycillin and calvulanic acid. Apart from this, you should also follow other measures such as
1. Take a pain reliever, either ibuprofen or diclofenac.
2. Use saline nasal spray 3-4 times a day, followed by steam inhalation. This helps in de-congestion of the nasal mucosa, open up the sinuses and reduce the post nasal drip.
3. Do gargles with povidone iodine (1:1 dilution 3-4 times a day). This is very effective in reducing the inflammation on the mucosa of the throat.
4. Use prednisone for 3 days rather than for 5 days.
5. Drink plenty of warm water; avoid chilled food and beverages. Warm water increases the blood circulation to the affected part and reduces the inflammation.
6. Avoid coffee/smoking/alcohol.

Hope with these above measures you should be alright. Revert back to me if you have any further queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon