Have flu like symptoms with sore and swollen gums. How to treat this?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have flu like symptoms. (headache, body ache, slight fever).. but the unusual thing for me is Sunday night my gums became sore and swollen.. My teeth are very healthy and i don't have a history of plaque buildup. this is the first time i've had swollen gums.
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
It is usual to have swollen gums during a generalized viral infection. Most of the times, this swelling is self limiting and does not require any treatment. It gradually subsides on its own after the viral infection subsides.
Avoid smoking, use iodine mouth wash and listerine mouth wash to keep the area clean and to prevent any superadded infections.
Avoid hot and spicy foods.
You can take some vitamin B complex and Vitamin C supplements orally for an early recovery.
In case the swelling is persistent then you need to consult a dentist for a direct examination to detect the cause and specific treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Have flu like symptoms with sore and swollen gums. How to treat this? 6 hours later
Hi Dr. Tayal,

Thanks for getting back so quickly! Wandering how many days typically will it take for the swelling to go down in the gums?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 29 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
If you start with the adequate vitamin B complex and C supplements and take care of the oral hygiene then the swelling should subside in a week or so.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.