Have flu and am pregnant. Can I take Zinnat?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
I'm pregnant at the 19th week ! I'm having flu ! Can I take zinnat 500 ??
Posted Sun, 22 Jul 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 33 minutes later
hi,

zinnat tablet contains cefuroxime belonging to cephalosporins antibiotic group,

it is category B drug in pregnancy,

means animal studies shown no teratogenic effects on fetus but adequate human studies are lacking,

so if your doctor recommends it because the benefits over weigh the risks you can use this tablets,

it may increase gastrointestinal symptoms of pregnancy like nausea, vomitings and gastritis etc,
so better to take antacids and if needed anti-emetics along with these tablets with your doctor's advice.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Have flu and am pregnant. Can I take Zinnat? 25 minutes later
What is anti-emetic ?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later
hi,
anti-emetic is the drug which prevents or stops vomitings,
if you get nausea or vomitings because of antibiotic you can take anti-emetic with your doctor's advice.
if you are already taking anti-emetics for vomitings in pregnancy(if you are having) that is sufficient.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.