Have flesh colored, non-painful bumps covering head of penis. What could this be?

I have flesh colored, non-painful bumps covering the head of my penis. Approx 30 total. Very small about the size of a pencil head.
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 9 minutes later

From description of the skin lesions that you have provided, it looks like you have developed genital warts.

These lesions present as totally asymptomatic skin colored raised lesions. These are very slow growing in nature.
The second closest possibility that I can think of is Fordyce spots. Now these are totally benign lesions which develop due to swelling in one particular glands of the skin.
It is important to differentiate between these two conditions as both the treatment and the prognosis of both of these conditions is entirely different.

It would be great if you can click some close up pictures of the skin lesions and upload them here on this page. You can also email the same to YYYY@YYYY with heading as Ref to Dr Geetika Paul.

Also let me know if your partner also has any similar lesions over the genitals or if there is any history of outside contact.

Waiting for your response and the pictures.

Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: Have flesh colored, non-painful bumps covering head of penis. What could this be? 7 hours later
No symptoms with my partner yet, here's the pic you requested:
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 8 minutes later

Having seen the picture, now I can assure you that the lesions that you are having are simply Fordyce's spots.

Now these are just ectopic sebaceous glands which means that these are ectopic oil secreting glands of our body. These lesions are very common on the male genitals . Also such lesions can sometimes develop at other places like lips and oral cavity.

Now this is mainly a cosmetic problem. On treatment is required in most cases. You need to understand that these are not viral warts or any other infection.
These are just overgrowth of a normal gland which is seen in few people.
Still in very apprehensive patients who just want to get rid of these lesions, their removal can be done by various means which include Cautery and radiofrequency ablation which can be done by a trained dermatologist.

Hope it helps.

Any other query, please let me know.

Dr Geetika Paul