Have flat stools, constipation, abdominal pain. Taken stool softener

I have flat stools. My stools are nearly flat on one side (i.e. they are the appropriate width, but not diameter). I have also experienced constipation for about 3 weeks. I have a colicky pain in my upper abdomen occasionally. I have taken a poylethylene glycol stool softener at times, which has helped me eliminate somewhat in the past 10 days or so, but my stools still appear somewhat flat.
Posted Mon, 24 Sep 2012 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 21 minutes later
Welcome to Healthcare Magic Physician's Desk!
The symmetry of stool is of no productive information because the rectum and anus where it takes the final shape are not of any fixed symmetry and over that the appearance is heavily dependant on the consistency of stool, a hard stool will retain it's shape and a soft stool will be distorted by the balance of muscles at the anal opening at that time.
Constipation of 3weeks is important, it can produce pain and discomfort.
I would advise you to take regularly the Syp. Cremaffin/Tab Dulcolax for some two weeks and then intermittently whenever you feel constipated.
Ensure hydration, make sure that you take lots of clear liquids like coconut water, soups, juices, lemonade and more as per you choice.
Wish you a great health!