Have fistula below thighs. Temporary relief from medicine. Will it be cured by operation?

My fiance has a fistula just below thighs, its about 3 years old but diagnosed now. Puss is draining continuously. Surgeon said the hole may be deeper. Medicines are causing it to dry sometimes but it again reoccurs. Please tell me I am in great worry. Is it will cause any major problem or is treatable with minor operation and medicines?
Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 hours later

The definitive treatment for a fistula/sinus is its excision by surgery.

Intensive antibiotic treatment has to be installed first to reduce the infection and make it ready for surgery. As lesser the infection in the fistulas/sinus tract during surgery, less will be the spread of the same into blood.

For choosing better antibiotics a test called Pus Culture and antibiotic sensitivity test has to be done on the pus drained from the fistula/sinus. This will ensure that a specific antibiotic which works well has been placed to reduce the infection effectively and make the tract ready to be excised.

Need not worry; the surgery is not a major one. But yes, it is the only cure for such a condition.

Hope I answered your query.

Please do let me know if there are any other concerns.