Have fishy smelling discharge and brown discharge with red clot. Am pregnant

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am 6 weeks pregnant and have been having a fishy smelling discharge? I have also had some brownish discharge with a red clot come away yesterday. My son was born at 27+2
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Hi there.

Are you experiencing any lower abdominal cramping pain?

Is there any burning sensation on passing urine, vaginal itching?

At 6 weeks pregnancy usually bleeding can occur as a normal phenomenon called Implantation bleeding, vaginal infection or even miscarriage.

The brownish discharge with clot could be due to the physiological bleed which is normal or even due to vaginal infection especially since you have fishy discharge.

It would be best to consult your Obstetrician for a thorough check-up because vaginal infection can also lead to complications to the foetus. An ultrasound can be done, which will confirm the presence of gestational sac by now (6 weeks), if you have not done the ultrasound as yet.

Drink plenty of water to prevent urinary tract infection. Avoid masturbation or sexual intercourse till the condition is examined and managed by your Obstetrician.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Follow-up: Have fishy smelling discharge and brown discharge with red clot. Am pregnant 2 hours later
Thank you for your reply. I am not exp any pain when urinating, I am exp what I would call period pains. I have a doctors app on Wednesday but I am trying to get a private viability scan. I am constantly feeling sick which I suppose is to be expected but what with the bank holiday weekend no where is open.

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 11 minutes later

Thanks for the reply.

It would be wise to get in touch with your Doctor as soon as possible. Do call up your Doctor and describe the pain you feel and the clot and discharge formation. If necessary you may get your scan done earlier as requested by your Doctor.

Avoid fatty or high carbohydrate meals. Take short frequent meals rather than large meals. Keep yourself well hydrated. If you develop fever, you may take Paracetamol (Acetaminophen) tablet under medical supervision for relief till you see your Doctor.

I hope I have answered your query.

Follow-up: Have fishy smelling discharge and brown discharge with red clot. Am pregnant 10 minutes later
Thank you Dr XXXXXXX I will call them tomorrow.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 0 minute later