Have fibromyalgia, hand numbness when sleeping on it, spread to shoulder. What are the possibilities?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am a male, age 49, who was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia almost 20 years ago, but otherwise in fair health if there is such a thing. 6'1" tall and about 180lbs, so not overweight. Never smoked or drink alcohol. About 4 days ago I noticed my left hand going numb when I tried to sleep on my right side. It then emulated all the way up to and included my entire left arm up to my shoulder. Was annoying at first for trying to sleep, but has since progressed into an achy, my arm is asleep, continuous feeling. While I know it's possible, I am not worried about a heart attack, but just wondering if there are other likely possibilities?
Posted Sat, 29 Sep 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
The numbness in your arm not associated with any pain is likely to be due to a nerve compression at the level of cervical spine. It happens primarily due to degenerative changes secondary to age in the cervical spine. Past neck injury may also contribute to the degeneration.

X-ray of neck in lateral view or MRI will help in the diagnosis. You can consult an orthopedician for an examination and proper management.
Some lifestyle modifications and methylcobalamin supplements will help in improvement of your symptoms. You need to improvise your posture and do cervical isometric exercises under the guidance of a physiotherapist to improve the strength of neck muscles.
Avoid using a pillow, watching TV or working on computer for long hours.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.