Have fibromyalgia, back pain done epidural, developed tailbone pain. Have muscle weakness and blurred vision. On xanax

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I am a 44 yr old female 5.6 112 pounds was 130 6 months ago was physically fit and active. 3 yrs before that had positive auto immune blood test and was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I was managing that. was walking an hour a day for exercise. i got trochanteric brusitis in march and in april and started having back pain ddd in lumbar with bulging discs nothing unusual had epidural in april, then in july mostly for leg pain never back pain then after second epidural sever excruciating tailbone pain came on. sacrum feels like its being pushed out from inside. just had 3rd epidural on wed. It took away excruciating pain, but something is not right in sacrum area. still feels as though its being pushed. cnt get comfortale sitting hurts laying hurts and cnt stand long muscle weekness, legs and butt area have completly atrophied. lost 17 pds, brain fog, blured vision. dnt know what to do or what it is or what doctor to go to.scared. crying everyday. i have a family and i can hardly get out of bed. what can i do. i ice and heat all day everyday. what could this possibly be?HELP PLEASE
medications currently on xanax 1 a day at bedtime. was on vicodin it did nothing for the pain. also body seems to have gotten hyper sensitive to any medication i take even motrin. having allergic reactions body seems to be rejecting them. i also eat very healthy mostly fruits and veg. i have elliminated dairy, gluten and sugar. i do not drink or smoke. no family history i was adopted. My mobility is limited and when the pain is there it is so bad i have never felt anything like it.
Posted Tue, 17 Sep 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Your pain could be due to COCCYDYNIA.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

From your description, I understand your concern regarding the pain in the sacrum area. This is termed as COCCYDYNIA ( pain in the tail bone area ).

This condition is caused by an injury or stress that affects the tailbone, as well as the muscles and nerves surrounding it. Examples include:

• Fall or trauma
• Repeated stress (eg: horseback riding, bicycling, motorcycle riding)
• Prolonged sitting on hard surfaces
• Dislocation from injury or Overweight , which can cause bones to shift
• Spinal cyst or tumour (rare cause)

To lessen the pain, the following measures have to be taken -

* Sit completely upright with proper posture — keeping your back firmly against the chair, knees level with your hips, feet flat on the floor and shoulders relaxed

* Sitz baths (which involves soaking hips and buttocks)

* Lean forward while sitting down

* Sit on a doughnut-shaped pillow or wedge (V-shaped) cushion

* Apply heat or ice to the affected area

*Physical therapy involving strengthening of pelvic area muscles , stimulation with ultrasound therapy

* Take over-the-counter pain relievers, such as acetaminophen (Tylenol), ibuprofen (Advil) or Naprosyn (Aleve)

An xray of the sacrum is necessary to rule out any bony issues. MRI scan of the sacrum helps in identifying any soft tissue pathology.

Hope I have justified your query. Happy to help for any clarification

Follow-up: Have fibromyalgia, back pain done epidural, developed tailbone pain. Have muscle weakness and blurred vision. On xanax 2 days later
Been to two doctors one wants to get a cat scan of lumbar and the other thinks its coming from my fibromyalgia. I dont think either This is excruciating and driving me crazy I just had epidural shot wed. and i still have this pain what should i do? how can i get an x-ray of my tail bone or will lumbar spine cat scan show this?One doctor gave me medrol pack and the other wants me to go on cymbalta. what is better? or will either help?
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
An MRI scan of Lumbosacral spine may be needed.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Nice to hear back from you.

As you have got symptoms related to two distinct entities (degenerative disc disease & coccydynia), an MRI scan of your Lumbosacral spine is usually sufficient which shows up the lesions related to both of your conditions.

Medrol (Methyl prednisolone) is useful in reducing the inflammation and thereby secondarily producing pain relief.

Cymbalta (duloxetine) is basically an Antidepressant medication, also used to reduce the neuropathic pain.

So, both of them of therapeutic uses in your case. Please discuss with your treating doctor before taking both medications.

Hope I have addressed your query.