Have fibromyalgia and recently had bad side effects from cipro. Prescribed Lyrica and Prednisone. Which one is more effective?

I have fibromyalgia and recently had bad side effects from Cipro. One doctor wants to give me Lyrica, and another wants to keep my on lose dose Prednisone for a couple of months. Which will be the most effective in helping with the side effects of the Cipro and treat the Fibro, too
Posted Sat, 28 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Both drugs have effects. Prednisolone useful in both

Detailed Answer:

Hi, Thanks for the query. I can understand your concern.

First, I would like to explain the use of both drugs in your case.

A. The prednisone will help in reducing the drug related any allergic reaction. Now the problem is due to tendonitis and the effect of drug on tendons and muscle. So this will have minimal effect at this stage, but can help you in preventing inflammation and in reducing pain due to fibromyalgia. There won't be any problem in continuing it.

B. The other drug is Lyrica which will act as a neuro protective agent and also help in nerve regeneration. This will help in treating the symptoms of fibromyalgia but has no direct effect in the management of ciprofloxacin side effects.

Since both act in different way, and both have its usefulness here I advice you to continue both the drug for a month and can later taper and stop prednisolone with advice from your doctor.

Never take any quinolone group of drugs.

For now, drink plenty of water as the toxic substances released at the tendon or muscle site need to be removed. Keep monitoring serum creatinine levels. Don't do any strenuous exercises or lifting heavy objects but can do only mild exercises now.

Hope this answered your query. Feel free to ask if any related query and I will be glad to answer them..

Wish you good health.