Have fibromyalgia. Taking amytriptolene, cymbalta. Having trouble in sleeping. What to do?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Excellent
Question
Hi I'm XXXXXXX Ive had fibromyalgia for 30 yrs. Amytriptolene 5 tablets of 50mg taken each night worked the best. Over the last mo. I am on cymbalta 60mg to see if I can lose weight. I.m having trouble sleeping so I started taking the cymbalta in the a.m. 2 weeks ago...but I still can't sleep.. Could I try 2 50mg amytriptolene at night and cymbalta in the a.m. I plan on seeing my Dr. this week. Also the pain is with me again. I'm in tears. Thankyou
Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later

Amytriptolene is a tricyclic antidepressant and it belongs to selective seratonin re-uptake inhibitors.
Cymbalta contains duloxetine and it belongs to seratonin-norepinephrine re-uptake inhibitors.
Usually these drugs can act individually for fibromyalgia.
But usage of cymbalta for weight reduction is not specified.
If both the drugs are used that can lead to a condition called serotonin syndrome, that can lead to many side effects.
So you better stop cymbalta till you approach your doctor and continue the same dosage of amytriptolene. Possibly this can help.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Have fibromyalgia. Taking amytriptolene, cymbalta. Having trouble in sleeping. What to do? 10 hours later
Thankyou, I will seee my Dr. this week.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 34 hours later
Ok, wish you good health.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.