Have fibromyalgia. Is this transmitted through blood transfusion?

I have fibromyalia.........Have any studies been done to connect this desease with having had a blood transfusion?
Posted Fri, 10 May 2013 in Lupus
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 34 minutes later
Hello and welcome to Healthcaremgic.

Thank you for writing to us.

The cause for fibromyalgia is still unknown. But there is extensive ongoing research to find the cause.

For years, it was believed that fibromyalgia was genetic, and is only passed on from one generation to another which is why sufferer's were not forbidden from normal activity like blood donation, etc. But off late, there have been multiple theories suggested by researchers. For example:
-Level of a certain chemical in the cerebrospinal fluid of an individual that could be the cause
-Lack of sleep/sleep depriviation
-Due to a virus
and many more.

The last cause listed by me, is both important and relevant to your query. If fibromyalgia is indeed caused by a virus, it could most certainly be transmitted through blood transfusion from a sufferer to an otherwise healthy individual.

Due to this the 'Centers for Disease Control and Prevention' (CDC) has now forbidden all sufferer's of fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue patients from donating blood.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you.

Best wishes.
Follow-up: Have fibromyalgia. Is this transmitted through blood transfusion? 9 minutes later
Mmmmm.....Thank you.....very interesting.......Rather than a transfusion (except in very necessary situations)....would you reccomend that EPO be given instead?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 19 minutes later

I am glad you found my response helpful.

If you do not mind me asking, is this for you to receive (i.e. blood or EPO)?

If you are the recipient, then there should be no problem at all. You can receive blood or EPO. Whereas if you are planning on donating blood, as stated above, I would recommend against it.

If a healthy individual requires it, then they can receive blood from another healthy individual or EPO, properly screened and tested blood that is.

I hope this information helps. Do write back to me for any further clarifications, or you could rate my answers after closing this discussion.

Best wishes.