Have fibroids and UTI. Missing periods. Suspected for hysterectomy. What should I do to get cured?

Question
56 female ..no period for over 3 years. have fibriods. frequent uti 's..been having a slimy greenish redish ( sometimes) yellow discharge for over a year everyday. have to wear pads. Was checked for uterine cancer..all was ok. Dr said i should get a hysteretymy. will this discharge ever stop if i don't and what else could cause this. im on several meds for diabetes , high BP and other. Is there anything I could take to stop this?
Posted Sat, 4 Aug 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 5 hours later
Dear XXXXXX
You are suffering from severe vaginal infection.
Its not good to have spotting after menopause and you should have thorough evaluation for the same.
Please get a Cervical smear with liquid cytology and HPV DNA detection test and if required a colposcopy +/- directed cervical biopsy.
You also need to do TVS pelvis for endometrial thickness and to rule out ovarian cysts.
Fibroids dont cause bleeding in postmenopausal women.
For the recurrent vaginal infection you need oral antibiotics and vaginal pessaries.
A rough guide would be oral metronidazole, clindamycin and vaginal clotrimazole pessaries.Your sexual partner should also be treated.
Use condoms for sex to reduce vaginal infection and use intimate perineal wash.
Avoid use of antiseptics or perfumes on the bikini area (if using)
Diabetes can also lead to recurrent vagnal infection.
Unless there is a uterine /cervical/ ovarian etc problem hysterctomy is not required.
The vaginal infection may persist after hysterectomy.

Follow-up: Have fibroids and UTI. Missing periods. Suspected for hysterectomy. What should I do to get cured? 3 hours later
I am not sexually active. Have not been in over 5 years. I had a pap smear in 2010 and a biospy to check for uterine cancer in 2011. Everything was ok. I don't have any itching and the smell is like mucus when you are congested .Is there any otc meds i could take?

Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 2 hours later
You were investigated in 2010
Greenish and bloody discharge cant be mucus
Regarding the medications I have given you the list which may be useful.
Please go to the chemist and see what he can give as OTC
I still insist that its better to do a repeat Gynae consult and exam

Follow-up: Have fibroids and UTI. Missing periods. Suspected for hysterectomy. What should I do to get cured? 11 minutes later
Thank you so much. I will schedule another appointment to have a check up with my GYN

Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 33 hours later
Thank you
I would be interested in knowing your exam result