Have fibroadenoma. What can be done?

Hi ive just been told I have a 16mm fibroadenoma and to leave it unless I think it gets bigger but I'm 47 I thought older people didn't get them?
Posted Wed, 14 Aug 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 13 minutes later

If the surgeon was sure of fibroadenoma you can wait it out. Fibroadenoma of this size are generally benign and does not warrant a removal. This holds good at 47 yrs of age as well. Current algorithms warrant conservative approach.

You should not be worried if it can turn to malignancy, which most women fear about. You can check it yourself, as it fibroadenoma is usually smooth, mobile, nontender, and rubbery in consistency. Think of a rat moving in the breast. If you find that it is fixed and non mobile, growing fast then you can report to the doctor for removal.

Let me know if you need further clarification.