Have fibro myalga, factor V leiden, cholesterol & BP level. Is it safe to take nurofen medication?

Can I safeley take Nurofen Plus medication. I am a 44 years old male, my cholesterol is 9.8, I have blood pressure is 130/90, my hight is 178cm and my weight is 113kg and I suffer Fibro Myalga.
Posted Sat, 2 Jun 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 2 hours later

Fibromyalgia is a disorder which causes physiological pain. Tablet Nurofen Plus which is an analgesic & anti inflammatory drug contains 12.5 mg of Codeine phosphate and 200 mg of Ibuprofen.

Ibuprofen has mild anti platelet effect. With respect to Factor V Leiden, there should be no problem with Ibuprofen part of Nurofen plus.

Codeine phosphate can produce side effects like dry mouth, euphoria but sometimes depression, drowsiness, nausea, vomiting, constipation, orthostatic hypotension, urinary retention, etc. Though they wouldn't worsen factor V Leiden, the merits and demerits of this drug needs to be discussed with your prescribing doctor.

The bottom line is both the ingredients of Nurofen Plus are generally safe with factor V Leiden. But please discuss about its merits and demerits with your prescribing doctor.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you have further query, I am available to help it out. But if you don't require further clarification, please close the discussion by accepting the answer and rating it.

With good wishes,