Ask a Urologist   »  

Have fever with back pain and frequent urination. Urine test showed blood, took antibiotic but no relief.

Jul 2016

Hi I have a low grade fever every night around 99-100.2 but it only last till early am with these temps I get bad back pain kidney area and have to urinate a lot more I am very tired all day have terrible cold chills the dr found blood in my urine I took antibiotic and was better for about a week and then the symptoms returned what do I do
Posted Thu, 4 Jul 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 35 minutes later
Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have
fever with chills and frequent urination since one week.
You have pain in the loin and passed blood in the urine.This is most likely to be due either infection in the kidney or urinary stones. However final diagnosis can be confirmed only after getting following basic investigations. investigations done.
1) Routine urine test.
2) Urine culture and sensitivity to find out organisms causing infection and antibiotics to which they are sensitive to.
3) Ultrasound scanning of the abdomen to rule our presence of stone either in the kidney or ureter.

Please consult qualified Urologist for clinical assessment and get aove investigations under his guidance.
The further treatment will be decided by him/her depending upon the results of these investigations.
In the mean while take broad spectrum antibiotics like Cifotaxime along with urinary anti septic like Nitrofurantoin twice daily.
Get prescription of these drugs from your family Physician .
Ensure to consume more water.

Hope I have answered your query.
Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions I shall be happy to help you.
Thanks with Regards.
Follow-up: Have fever with back pain and frequent urination. Urine test showed blood, took antibiotic but no relief. 3 minutes later
I had check up for stones I had none they checked for blood and infection I had blood in urine but it showed possible contamination for infection that's why I took cipro which helped but 1 week after I stopped antibiotic I started getting these symptoms I'm tired of feeling i'll I am a single mom with 3 kids
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 16 minutes later
Thanks for follow up.
Please get your urine culture done and take antibiotics as per culture report.
Since you have recurrent UTI you have to take appropriate antibiotic to combat infection.
Do not worry it will get cured with proper antibiotics.
Thanks and Regards.