Have fever, urine pus has increased, loose motion and dry mouth. Treated with cebanex forte for e-coli. Suggest?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016

OBGYN
Question
my mother aged 87 suffering from 101 running
temperature. urine pus 100-125. urineculture have a growth . loose motion from yesterday evening. driness of mouth. already 4 months before she was admitted and she was treated with cebanex forte for e-coli .on the sixth day she started to have loose motion and the medicine stopped then niftran started . after four months once again she started this problem our doctor ask her to take 2000ml water per day and her intake is about 1500 and her output is about 1000ml.please suggest medicine to stop loose motion and pus cell problem the sensitivity medicine does not suit her and she is now under nifean again. please suggest us
.
Posted Sat, 12 Oct 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Klebsiella Infection. Follow the guideline.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us on Healthcare Magic.

From your given information and culture test report, I can assume that your mother is currently suffering from Gastroenteritis due to KLEBSIELLA organism. Culture and drug sensitivity is good choice to rule out causative agent and treat the condition with suitable sensitive drug.

In this circumstances, I would recommend following treatment:

1) Start oral antibiotic with combination of Ofloxacin and Ornidazole (like O2 etc) or injectable antibiotic with netilmicin. These are highly sensitive on culture report and quite useful to treat klebsiella. Duration of therapy is 5 to 7 days in most cases. You can consult with your doctor regarding this.

2) Give paracetamol as required to reduce body temperature. Cold sponging can be given along with that.

3) Increase water intake up to 2 to 2.5 liter/ day. Mix ORS or ELECTRAL powder with drinking water to correct electrolyte imbalance. This is effective to treat loose motion and should be continued till complete recovery.

4) Maintain genital hygiene properly to avoid ascending infection. Empty bladder in time.

5) Give urine alkaliser (like Syp Uriliser) 2 to 3 times daily, mixed with water for alkalinization of urine. It is helpful to reduce infection load and recurrence.

6) Drink regular Cranberry juice 1 to 2 glass to flush out body toxin. It has supportive role in prevention of urinary infection.

Hope, I have guided you with my experience. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish her good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through
WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Have fever, urine pus has increased, loose motion and dry mouth. Treated with cebanex forte for e-coli. Suggest? 2 hours later
Dr. You have not told abt tab Niftran (Nitrofurantion). I am now giving twice a day orally.

Answered by Dr. S Patra 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Stop Niftran. Follow the treatment guideline.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up query.

You should stop or discontinue Niftran (Nitrofurantoin) at the earliest. It is used in urinary infection but not as first line drug therapy.

Second thing, it causes diarrhea or loose motion as adverse effect. So, it is not recommended in this case.

Go through the treatment guideline as mentioned in my earlier reply. According to culture report, Ofloxacin is more sensitive to treat Klebsiella infection and it is a first line drug nowadays. Combined Ofloxacin & Ornidazole is really helpful to treat urinary infection along with loose motion. Follow the rest.

Hope, I have cleared your doubts. If you don't have any other query, you can close the discussion.

All the best. Good luck.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Have fever, urine pus has increased, loose motion and dry mouth. Treated with cebanex forte for e-coli. Suggest? 8 minutes later
what is cranberry . can you tell in tamil

Answered by Dr. S Patra 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
KURUTINELLI = Cranberry

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for response.

Cranberry is called KURUTINELLI in tamil language. I search it for translation.

Hope, it helps for you to understand.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Have fever, urine pus has increased, loose motion and dry mouth. Treated with cebanex forte for e-coli. Suggest? 22 minutes later
what abt pus cells.will the medicines ofloxacin and orindazole will cure pus cells.in what way driness of mouth can be controlled

Answered by Dr. S Patra 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, ofloxacin & ornidazole eliminate pus cells.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for query.

Yes, ofloxacin and ornidazole combination will help to eliminate klebsiella infection which leads to decrease or cure urinary pus cells. Ofloxacin is more sensitive in culture report. That's why it is preferred to treat the current infection.

For dry mouth, following things should be corrected or treated:

1) urinary infection and loose motion should be controlled by above treatment regimen.

2) dehydration should be corrected by increasing water intake 2- 2.5 liter/ day with electral powder or ORS

3) body temperature should be reduced by above said medication (paracetamol).

Hope, I have guided you. If you do not have any query, you can close the discussion.

Good luck.

Dr Soumen