Have fever, sore throat and lot of little holes in tonsils. Any advice?

I have a lot of little holes in my tonsils. There is white stuff in some of them but not all. I have a slight fever. a sore throat. Please advise.
Posted Tue, 6 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

Your observation of little holes in tonsils is very normal. They are called crypts. However, if you see "white stuff" and have sore throat and fever then you need to take medications. You need to get a throat swab culture and sensitivity done to know the cause of infection and take the following medications:
1. An appropriate antibiotic, say amoxycillin.
2. A decongestant.
3. Acetaminophen for fever.

Once the culture report is available the antibiotic can be changed, if needed.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back for any clarifications that you may need.

Wishing you an early recovery...