Have fever, headache and dizziness. Having high BP. Blood test showed typhoid. On levofloxacin

Excellent

Question
Hi, I have fever, headache and a lot of dizziness. My blood test showed salmonella Typhi H 1:320, Typhi 0 1:160, and Ox19 1:320. He prescribed levofloxacin 750mg and ibuprofen 400mg. My blood pressure was 140/90 5 days ago, and coming down, but peaks. I still feel dizzy and in body pain. Is there a diet I should be following, and how long will the symptoms last on average. I am 45 with normal body weight.
Posted Fri, 31 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 33 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

The symptoms of typhoid can last up to 4 weeks in some persons. During the first week the symptoms may mainly be gastrointestinal such as abdominal pain , fever would also occur.Headache, malaise , dizziness and dry cough may occur.By the end of this week the fever plateaus and a rash may occur.

In the second week these symptoms progress and the the abdomen may become distended.

By the 4th week the symptoms start to improve though this process may speed up with medication, symptoms may actually be reduced to 10 days- 2 weeks.

In terms of diet- it is important to drink alot of fluids to maintain hydration.
A soft high calorie diet may be best- the high calories may reduce the chances of weight loss and the soft food may reduce the impact on the intestines.
This would include soups, potatoes,soft pasta, bananas.
There are no other dietary recommendations.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Have fever, headache and dizziness. Having high BP. Blood test showed typhoid. On levofloxacin 56 minutes later
Hi Dr XXXXXXX

Thank you for your fast reply.
I will take it easy then!
Two questions
1. is this contagious? I work in an office, not handling food. But I currently live in Mexico, where the greeting is a kiss on the cheek. Should I keep my distance from my co-workers and friends. Just checking.
2. Also, I should go back to the Doctor for a re-check of my blood the day my antibiotics course finishes - yes?

Cheers,
Fi

Hi

There are ways it can be transmitted: (1) oral transmission from food or drinks handled by someone shedding the virus in stool
(2)hand to mouth transmission after using a contaminated toilet and not observing appropriate hygiene
(3)oral transmission via sewage contaminated water or shell fish

You are not likely to transmit it if you do not work in the food industry but you may want to rest a bit before going back to work to give your body time to recover.

Some persons may experience relapse so your doctor may monitor you up to 3 months. He or she may also suggest monthly stool samples to determine if you become a carrier of the bacteria.
You should visit him/her within one week of completion of the course of antibiotics.

Please feel you can ask anything else

Follow-up: Have fever, headache and dizziness. Having high BP. Blood test showed typhoid. On levofloxacin 8 days later
Hi Dr XXXXXXX

Attached is a new report taken 12 days after the first one.
How do you think I am tracking on recovery?
My antibiotics finish on Sunday.
I am still dizzy and bad headaches. This is normal at this stage I guess?
I admit I have not taken complete rest, but have slowed down and taken a few days off here and there.

Any advice welcome.

Cheers,
Fi

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later

The results do demonstrate an improvement. The levels of typhi H and proteus are declining, this is good.
You can still experience symptoms at this stage but they should be decreasing in severity and frequency.

According to the results you provided, there are decreased levels in your blood.

Please feel free to ask any other questions