Have fever, cold, ringing ears and memory loss. What am I suffering from?

ENT Specialist
My ears have been full and ringing for about three days. Yesterday I developed a fever and chills (off and on).
Had certain memory loss during Thanksgiving yesterday. There was alcohol involved, but I am not a regular drinker and have never experienced any kind of memory loss before. Memory seems fine today.....maybe we celebrated Thanksgiving a little too much!
Posted Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

Thanks for the query

The symptoms you have described could be the features of upper due to blockage of the Eustachian tube following URTI.

Transient memory loss in elderly following alcohol consumption is normal and nothing to be alarmed about.

Do not worry! Follow my instructions you will be alright.

1. Drink plenty of warm water –this helps in improving the blood supply and hence reduces the edema around the Eustachian tube.
2. Avoid smoking/chilled beverages/alcohol/coffee till you recover completely – all these will cause dryness of the mucosa and impair the normal ciliary movements in the nose and Eustachian tube.
3. Use saline nasal spray to open up the Eustachian tube, followed by steam inhalation – the former and the latter will help in relieving the edema around the Eustachian tube and thus help in opening up the clogged ears and tinnitus.
4. If the symptoms persist consult a good ENT specialist for a complete evaluation and management.

Hope I have answered your queries; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon