Have fever and throat pain. No relief from medicine. Have runny nose and tiredness. Any advice?

ENT Specialist
I have been experiencing a pain in my throat since past 3 days and fever (102 degree cel and 104 degree cel).I have been advised Nock 2,Levoflox 500 and Cetcip L for throat infection.I have taken four dosages in last 2 days.The fever has gone but the throat pain is still there.I am also doing hot water and salt gargles 2 times a day which relieves the pain temporarily.Since today morning I have running nose and tiredness also.Kinldy advice if the medicine I am taking is appropriate as I was feeling uneasy after the dose last night.Moreover should I go for H1N1 test and take tamiflu.
Posted Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. H1N1 is diagnosed on the basis of high fever not responding to medication accompanied by various other symptoms such as sore throat, body ache, cough, headache, chills, fatigue, nausea, vomiting, breathlessness and so on.

2. As such these symptoms are common to many viral fevers including dengue fever and other infections such as malaria, typhoid and good sign.

3. In most viral fevers, antibiotics only prevent secondary bacterial infection. Ideally a penicillin group antibiotic is the best. Combined with Levoflox (Levofloxacin) it would take care of almost any bacterial infection.

4. Since you are in an area where there are currently many cases of Swine Flu (H1N1) being reported, you may get a routine blood test done along with PBS (Peripheral Blood Smear)for MP (Malarial Parasite), NS-1 antigen and Liver Function Tests (which will also help rule out dengue fever and malaria). Send a throat swab for H1N1 test.

5. Ideally Tamiflu (Oseltamivir) 75 mg BD for 5 days. should be started within 48 hours. Hence you may approach a nearby hospital to start this anti-viral. It has it's side effects, though. Another option is Relanza (Zanamivir) which has to be inhaled.

6. Nock 2 contains Nimesulide which can cause a decreased platelet count if there is Dengue fever. Dengue antibodies and Typhoid tests are done in the second week.

7. A medicated gargle such as diluted Betadine oral rinse will help.

I must emphasize that there is no cause for worry. Even if you have H1N1 infection, in more than 95% cases, it is just like any severe viral fever. If possible, keep yourself isolated from work and home, especially elders and children till two days after the fever subsides completely.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.