Have fever and severe pain around kidney. Should I be worried for kidney stone?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I spent 2 days in the hospital and now am released but still having same pain. Dr. said he saw no stones on the ct scan however I passed 3 during my stay at the hospital. I now have a fever of 100 with a sever pain in my right lower back where my kidney is located. Is this another stone? or an infection?
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
The persistent pain in the right side lower back could be related to an infection or a spasm of the urinary tract muscles in response to a stone.
You must get a urine culture done and then take the proper antibiotics in proper dose in consultation with your doctor. Other methods to be adopted are-
Water helps flush your urinary tract, so make sure you drink plenty of plain water
Don't hold it when you need to urinate! Women are often guilty of trying to finish a task before they go to the bathroom. Holding it when you need to go can help any bacteria that may be present develop into a full-fledged urinary tract infection.
The other causes of back pain like muscle spasm and herniated discs also needs to be considered in case the pain is persistent.
You can also get a urinary antispasmodic like Flavoxate prescribed from your physician.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.