Have fever. Prescribed antibiotics. Feeling lethargic, quiet, un-responsive and no appetite. Should I be concerned?

Feb 2013

Hi I am worried about my 3 years old son. It started with my 2nd son who got sick and had fever for 3 days (sat - Monday), once he took the prescribed antibiotics he went back to school on day 6. However, on Tuesday, my youngest son (3 yrs old) got sick and had fever from Tues - Sunday.
He had been on antibiotics for 5 days (Alphamox - amoxicillin 250 mg / 5 ml - 3 times a day). he has been very lethargic, quiet and un-responsive and no appetite for meals / snack.. Since Saturday, we noticed a strange behaviour , where he was extremely quiet and wanting to go to sleep. He took a spoonful of food, and he kept it there without chewing or swallowing the food. In results, he dribbled quite a lot. Yesterday, he appeared totally fine. Today his kindergarten teacher reported that the same behaviour happened again. Rite now, he appeared so tired and sleepy. He looked totally fine for about 3 hours (2:30 pm - 5:30 pm).

His sleep is quite ok now, the fluid intake is normal

1. Should I be concern about this weird and strange behaviour..?
2. Would the antibiotics have the side effect that can cause my son to behave strangely..?
3. is this condition still due to the effect of the viral infection..?

Would be great if you can provide us with some feedback.

Many thanks. - DavidH26
Posted Sun, 25 Aug 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 47 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

What is concerning for me this episodic altered behavior of the child.

Usually delirium occurs in children with the high grade fever during which the child may behave abnormally and may speak irrelevant and incoherent speech.

Another type of abnormality associated with high grade fever in children is febrile seizure which will present with unresponsiveness, staring look, drooling of saliva, and with tonic clinic movements of limbs.

My answers to your questions are:

1.Yes, the strange abnormal behavior is worrisome and concerning thing and
needs immediate evaluation by the doctor.

2.This type of abnormal behavior is not seen with the antibiotic (amoxicillin).

3.This type of behavior is suggestive of his higher neurological function because
of infection or because of high grade fever.

I advise you to consult the emergency as soon as possible for the examination of the child physically to identify the cause for such behavior and its management.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.