Have fever. Not getting cured after medication. Blood test for typhoid negative. Medical cure?

Mar 2013
I had fever for about 102 to 104 degrees for a week, and rushed to the emergency of a local hospital. They observed me for 2 days and told me that I'm with low HB count in blood (8) and low BP(90/60). The temperature was under control when I was in hospital, but when I'm back to home, I had 102 to 104 degree fever again.
No other symptoms and the blood test for typhoid was negative. My platelets were 2.58, reduced to 1.72 while at hospital, but now increased to 2.28 again. what should be the reason of my fever, I do not have it continuously, I have it for 2 to 3 hours, again normal. Could not guess the reason for the fever
Posted Sun, 31 Mar 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 17 minutes later
Thank you for your query.

Fever is a sign of a variety of medical conditions, including infection.
Usually a fever goes away within a few days, however you need proper evaluation since you are having persistent fever and it is high grade ( above 102 - 103 )
Untreated high grade fever can lead to dehydration, convulsions, generalized sepsis, renal shutdown etc.

Generally fever is caused due to the following reasons : A virus infection anywhere in the body such as occurs in a common cold or sore throat ,A bacterial infection such as those causing diarrhoea ,Heat exhaustion, Extreme sunburn, Certain inflammatory conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis — inflammation of the lining of your joints (synovium), tuberculosis - although it would be low grade fever.
Cancers sometimes cause high grade fever, as do certain parasitic infections or insect bites, which might be endemic in your area ( eg. malaria, filaria etc )

Fever might be a reaction to certain medications or injections or immunizations.
Generally fever indicates a source of infection within the body. Accompanying symptoms if any, help to point the diagnosis. If you have a temperature of 101 F (38.3 C) or higher for more than three weeks and your doctor isn't able to find the cause after extensive evaluation, the diagnosis is called fever of unknown origin.

Various blood and urine tests, chest X XXXXXXX etc are done to know the cause. As your tests are normal, if the fever persists for more than 3 weeks, you need invasive testing in the form of testing for tuberculosis, blood culture, complete abdominal scans etc.

I think you need to see a Physician for detailed testing.
Of course, your hemoglobin needs to be improved with medication and iron XXXXXXX diet, but that is in the long run.
Symptomatically, you can take Crocin or Combiflam for the fever, however, in higher and prolonged doses these medications harm the liver, so you should take them by prescription only.
Antibiotics or other drugs are given only if a cause for the fever is found.

Meanwhile, general pointers are :
Take adequate rest.
Wear loose, comfortable, cotton clothing, Avoid excessive exposure to heat or pollution.
Drink plenty of fluids. Hydration helps to beat fevers.
You can try sponging yourself to break the fever.
However it is best to consult a Specialist for a proper testing and diagnosis.

take care.
Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Have fever. Not getting cured after medication. Blood test for typhoid negative. Medical cure? 24 minutes later
I had my blood culture and urine culture and everthing is normal. The chest x-ray was done and is ok. But fever comes for almost 2 hours a day with 102 103.No other symptoms persist
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 minutes later
That is very strange indeed.
In the absence of any other symptom, and with all tests normal, I would advise you to treat the fever symptomatically and wait and watch.
Not all infections come up on tests, and the fever is your body's natural defence mechanism against a potential infection.