Have felt like chest has been blocked. Get shooting pains, given betablockers. Heart Attack?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
I have felt as if my chest has been blocked for over a week it's sore an get shooting pains an sometimes now I'm feelin as if I have something lodged in it! The doctor gave me betablockers as she thought I was majorly stressed I'm just terrified its a heart attack
Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 27 minutes later
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
These symptoms do not suggest a heart attack. At your age of 32 years, a heart attack would be unusual.
As you have been seen by your doctor who will have been able to assess you personally, I think a diagnosis of stress is a possibility.
I would suggest you give the beta-blockers a chance to work and see how you are in a few days.
Stress is much more common than a heart attack at your age.
I hope this may have reassured you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger