Have fatty liver, high bilirubin, diagnosed with pylori and peptic ulcer. Taking sertraline. Pain and burning in stomach

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I have fatty liver, alcohol addiction, high bilirubin, been diagnosed with h pylori & a peptic ulcer & now taking Sertraline for depression. Recently started having pains @ night on my left side & burning during the day on right side. Went to the doctor yesterday & was only ordered to have a CBC w/o diff. Shouldn't more tests be ran?
Posted Thu, 30 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 19 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your querry.
I think you should. Your pain can be related to fatty liver, but some more disorders should be investigated considering your left sided pain and alcoholism.
CBC can show blood cells and liver function tests and this is enough just to evaluate liver function.
But as I said it can be caused by gallbladder issue or pancreatic disorders. Gallbaldder stones and alcohols can cause biliary colic and acute/chronic pancreatitis. So beside CBC I suggest to do amylase and lipase blood levels, liver, galbladder and pancreatic ultrasound, viral markers and AFP (alphafetoprotein). It should rule out all these things i ve mentioned and if everything is clear than you pain is caused by gastritis and fatty liver.
WIsh you good health. If you have any question I ll be glad to help.
Follow-up: Have fatty liver, high bilirubin, diagnosed with pylori and peptic ulcer. Taking sertraline. Pain and burning in stomach 8 minutes later
Thank you! You said much more than she did face to face & for less money than my co pay. So glad I found this site & thankful that somebody thought of it. I appreciate your time & hope you have a wonderful day!
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 6 minutes later
You are welcome. if you have any other question feel free to ask.
Wish you good health.