Have fatty liver and acidity. Have hearburn, abdominal pain. Am fasting for religious reasons. What to do?

General Surgeon
Hi... Doc, I have a fatty liver and severe Acidity problem. I am a Muslim and fasting these days, after two to three hours I undergo a severe bout of Heartburn right a diaphragm sphincters and a continouos moderately severe pain on upper right abdomen, under the rib cage. What to do? Plz help. It's on daily basis.
Posted Sat, 25 Aug 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rajat Gupta 43 minutes later

You seem to be suffering from gastritis exaggerated by fasting.

You may take proton pump inhibitors like pantoprazole twice a day on empty stomach on the days you are fasting.

Ideally smaller non fatty and non spicy meals should be taken to prevent gastritis symptoms. But I understand this might not be possible due to your fasting this month.

You can also try antacids like digene 3 teaspoon twice daily perhaps in the morning and evening hours for additional benefits.

Hope all this helps. Let me know if you have any other concerns.

Dr. Rajat Gupta