Have fatty bump on lower ribcage. Could this be lipoma?

I have a fatty bump on the lower part of my left ribcage. My GP years ago said it is just a fatty deposit and i can feel a slight burn that comes in waves over it now. He mentioned they can remove it if it starts to you think it might just be Lipoma? Need to schedule an appointment but can't get to the doc for several weeks. You can also "feel" it burn slightly when drinking hot liquid....I am 44 and have noticed it for many, many years now...thanks
Posted Thu, 9 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 1 hour later
Hi, welcome and thanks for writing in.
Considering your history and doctor opinion it could be a lipoma. However there is simple way to diagnose it. You need to go for ultrasonography of that area. Whatever it may be ultrasonography will give you definitive diagnosis.
If usg suggestive if any other pathology then other investigation can be considered. Also don't get appointed for operation without such basic investigations.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further concern, please let me know.