Have fatigue, rash on thighs and buttocks. Family history of thyroid problems. Done thyroidectomy. Heavy periods. Cause?

Hi I'm 39 and feel terrible everyday! Fatigue, no energy even after energy c and vitamin b12 no energy. Heavy weight gain a rash on outer thighs and hip area above buttocks been there for 4 years. No ointment or allergy pill gets rid of it. Have family history of thyroid problems. Partial thyroidectomy done when 19 years old then discovered nodules on thyroid after similar fatigue when age 30. Heavy heavy menstual cycle lasts7 to 9 days. I seem to get sick often and can't get over it. Could it be thyroid? Or autoimmune?
Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later
Dear XXXX,

Thanks for the concerns. As a matter of fact, as you mention, the 3 main causes that would be higher in my initial differential would be anemia from blood loss (heavy periods) which is a common cause of fatigue, hypothyroidism from your surgical resection and prior nodules, or an undifferentiated autoimmune disease with the fatigue and the rash; against the latter would be the weigh gain, as usually weight loss is seen. Diabetes also needs to be ruled out as a fourth. I encourage you to see a physician, probably a good internist to start, who can examine the thyroid, the rash, etc and order the basic initial tests based on the clinical differential diagnosis I suggested.

Best regards,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN