Have family history of short height. Want to increase height. Suggest?

May 2014

hi i m 24 years old now, my mum is like 4,10 inch and dad is like 5,5. and i m 5,2. i stopped growing when i was 15,16 and im 24, i tried to increase my height but i could not. is there is any thing or is it possible me to increase my height 3-4 inch. or not.
please there is anything that i can increase my height
Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.

After going through your family details, it looks your height 5' 2" is in your genes and due to genetic reasons as both parents have less than that of the general population.

Since your skeleton is mature at 24 years old, your bones have fused and there is no scope of the bones lengthening by themselves. However this can be achieved through a surgical procedure by which your height can be increased surgically. It is a slow process but this requires a lot of patience and co operation from the patient.

The procedure is known as Ilizarov technique and for better results, a nail is also put inside the bone (intramedullary nailing). In medical terms this is known as distraction osteogenesis, that is new bone formation by surgically creating distraction within and therefore lengthening the bone.

Increasing the height with Ilizarov method is effective however the treatment time is long, requiring strict patients cooperation. Patient counseling regarding achievable increase in height and complications are a must before doing the procedure.

Please consult a qualified orthopedic surgeon who is experienced in performing Ilizarov technique and discuss the feasibility of this procedure.

Further questions welcome.
If you do not have any questions, I request you to please close this thread.

Dr Vivek