Have family history of heart attack and BP is 124. What should I do?

My pressure today is at 140/96 2nd reading was 124/94. Weight is 71kg height 160cm. I'm 38 years old. My dad passed away of heart attach at 69 years of age. My brother 53 years old passed away suddenly 2 weeks back of heart attack. What should I do? I don't want to start of medication.
Posted Sun, 17 Nov 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Consider life style measures

Detailed Answer:
First of all let me start with your body weight. You are in pre-obese category and your ideal body weight is 59 kg (Range 49-64 kg). So first of all reduce your body weight.
Now your blood pressure. You are in stage I hypertension range (140-159/90-99 mm Hg). Ideally you must be startled on treatment but if you want you can succumb to the lifestyle modifications....
1) weigh reduction which lowers 5-20 mm Hg/ 10 kg weight loss.
2)Adopt DASH eating plan which you may readily get on internet.
3)Dietary salt to less than 6 g/day.
4) Engage in regular aerobic exercise.
5)Eithe stop drinking or lomit ot <1 drinks per day....

Sine you have got strong family history get yourself tested for lipid profile and baseline cardiac testing including Treadmills and echocardiography and keep in regular touch to cardiologist...

Best wishes