Have family history of diabetes. What diet should i take as precaution?

I have a family history of slim type 1.5 diabetes commencing at age 50-60. I am 57 and had a fasting blood sugar reading of 101. Should I tend to make changes in diet excetra.

Almost all of my relatives, including mother and grandparents converted to insulin dependent diabetes at age 50-68, though my father did not do so until he was in his 80s.
Posted Tue, 1 Jan 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist and I read your mail with diligence.
Seventy percent of patients of coronary artery disease have diabetes. Therefore your question is relevant. However, family history and fasting blood sugar does not make you a diabetic. Please get a set of fasting and postprandial sugar set and glycated hemoglobin HbA1C done on you to see whether you are even pre diabetic or not. You could have escaped the genetic influence you mentioned about.
As for change in diet is concerned most of the changes are otherwise good for health specially cardiovascular health. You do not have to make any drastic changes as yet. If this set of sugars and glycated hemoglobin is normal, get it repeated at 6 monthly changes. Meanwhile, changes which are easy to make like avoiding junk food, ready sugar or oily fatty preparation and increasing the proportion of fruits and XXXXXXX vegetables in your diet will cause you no harm. Good Luck.
I hope that answers your question. Good luck.
If you have any more query I will be most happy to answer it.
Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist & Internist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW
Follow-up: Have family history of diabetes. What diet should i take as precaution? 56 minutes later
Thank you for your insight doctor. Also, this past reading my cholesterol was a bit high 224. I don't know if this correllates with the somewhat higher sugar reading.

I did have quite a bit of juice and fish relative to my norm and I am thinking maybe I should moderate. (I do not eat red meat or much chicken or dairy.)
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 11 minutes later
Thank you for writing back. I appreciate that and you have raised a very pertinent question.

There are several modifiable risk factors for coronary artery disease we know of, we may not know of several others but listed here is what is known:
1. Diabetes Mellitus
2. Smoking
3. High BP Hypertension
4. Obesity and lack of exercise
5. Stress
6. High Bad Cholesterol (Total Cholesterol >190 mg%, Triglycerides >150 & LDL >130)
7. Low Good Cholesterol HDL <40 in men and <50 mg% in women.

As you have some elevation of cholesterol, I will suggest to get lipid profile done and take care of it.

If you have any other question I will be happy to answer.

Anil Grover