Have extreme weakness and pain in hips and knee. Have extreme itching of skin. What does this indicate?

I have extreme weakness and some pain in hips and knees; worse in evenings; also extreme itching of the skin. very serious; at times unable to walk without extreme discomfort.
This is a new condition.
Posted Sat, 19 Oct 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs workup

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

I think the severity of your symptoms warrants A complete workup. This work up would include an excellent physical examination with consultation and good history taking. In addition laboratory testing might be very helpful to figure out what might be contributing to your weakness and this extreme itching.

there are many different possibilities as far as what might be contributing to your symptoms. One common cause of weakness and itching is severe anemia. this kind of anemia can occur with gastrointestinal bleeding or bleeding in the urinary tract. Also if for some reason your body is destroying red blood cells through some type of immune phenomenon this can also contribute to itching.

certain types of lymphomas can sometimes cause itching as well.
I don't see any reason why you might have lymphoma but this is just something to think about. lymphoma is also usually associated with weight loss and night sweats.

i'm not sure the pain in your hips and knees is connected with your weakness. this might be just an exacerbation of arthritis.

again I think the nature and severity of your symptoms is significant enough that a laboratory evaluation with a consultation is needed. I would suggest you start with your doctor or XXXXXXX medicine specialist.

if you're not able to be seen by your doctor I would suggest that you go to your local emergency room for evaluation.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let us know if we can be of any additional assistance.

Dr Galamaga