Have extreme pain below ribs. Hysterectomy left scar tissue. Have arthritis and knee replacement. Related?

General Surgeon
I have extreme pain on my left side below my ribs.
The hysterectomy left scar tissue so when I had a colonoscopy they couldn't get beyond the first corner due to pain, 2010. Could the scar tissue interfere with the colon causing this pain?
I do have a high pain tolerance. I do have some arthritis. Other than that and the total knee replacement, I am healthy. Worked as a construction laborer till I had the last surgery, 30 years. Any ideas regarding my pain?
Posted Tue, 17 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, scar tissue can cause such symptoms.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

Yes, scar tissue can interfere with your colon. But not the scar you can see on the skin. Please note that every abdominal surgery causes adhesions in the abdominal cavity. Such adhesions can impede or even obstruct intestine. Due to such obstruction you can have abdominal pain, bloating, constipation and/or diarrhea.
Moreover, other large intestine issues like tumors can affect colon in the same way.
If you have any lump in the skin scar area, hernia in it is also possible and can give similar symptoms.
Upper left side pain can be also caused by peptic ulcer, stomach inflammation or H.Pylori infection.

I suggest you to visit your doctor. Physical examination should be done to palpate possible hernia. Your colonoscopy should be done once again but this time in sedation. Abdominal ultrasound should be done as well.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.