Have extreme anxiety. Taking Xanax. Had alcohol

AI have extreme anxiety and need to take 2mg of Xanax now to survive this evening. The problematic is i have already have a few beers . have been on the benzo off and on for two years since my son got sick and recently had a transplant of the liver. Things for him are getting better but momma is still stressed. I know in reality that I should not mix the two but I would rather not have to go to my Lorazapam or ambien to sleep.
Posted Sat, 2 Nov 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Chances of overdose is there.

Detailed Answer:
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Xanax contain alprazolam. 2mg is high dose, but person who are using it for long term, it does not cause any problem to them in that dose due to development of tolerance.

Alcohol (beer) and any sedative cause additive action with xanax, and can cause prolong sleep and respiratory difficulty which can not be predicted. It is better that you get monitored in hospital to rule out any complication.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.
Wish you good health.