Have extended periods when not using IUD, gaining weight due to IUD. Is there any other treatment?

I have regular 3 week long periods when an IUD is not in place, nothing else has stopped this problem. I will be due to get a new IUD at the end of the year, but I was wondering if there is any other treatment possible for this problem, as I fear that the IUD is making me gain more weight than I should. I already have 2 beautiful daughters and do not want any more but keep getting told that a hysterectomy is out of the equation.
Posted Sat, 21 Jul 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 10 minutes later
Oral contraceptive pills are a good choice of contraception and can be taken at your age.

If taken regularly they are quite effective in prevention of pregnancy.
Oral contraceptive pills (OCPs) suppress endometrial development, reestablish predictable bleeding patterns, decrease menstrual flow, and lower the risk of iron deficiency anemia.
Consider visiting a Gynaecologist so that you can be prescribed the one after evaluation of your age,height,weight,menstrual history etc.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Have extended periods when not using IUD, gaining weight due to IUD. Is there any other treatment? 17 minutes later
I was on the pill when the problem first started and it only eased it to a light constant period,the IUD was inserted as nothing else was working. As I am now 36 and a smoker(trying very hard to quit) the doctor wont let me go back on the pill.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Since you are a smoker, taking pills will not be effective for you. Then the only option left for you is IUD. Till the time you get one, you can use a spermicidal gel in addition to a condom used by your partner.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.