Have excruciating pain in thigh. What do you suggest?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
My wife just woke up with excruciating pain in her inner thigh. It is not a muscle cramp as I investigated. The area feels hot...she says it feels like a "hot tunnel"deep in the leg....very sensitive and pain stays for about 10-15 minutes. Incapacitating at the time and then seems to release. This is the third time that it has happened during the night. There has not been any trauma to the region. Very painful! She is 71 and healthy. Any diagnosis......or suggestions? Thank you
Posted Wed, 11 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Seems to be inflammatory in origin Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. From description pain over inner thigh seems to be inflammatory in origin. During night time pain occurs due to muscle spasm. I advice her to give rest to the part affected, take anti-inflammatory drug like motrin 1 tablet with food as and when required (upto 4 tablets daily) to reduce pain and inflammation and consult your doctor for thorough examination of thigh and rule out any infective cause. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care