Have excessive sweating on scalp and face. What could be the cause and treatment?

Genetics Specialist
I have a excessive sweating from my scalp / face. It is not related to any stress. Any increase in the ambient temperature or minor amount of physical activity would trigger the sweating and I get drenched in sweat. This is something that I have had throughout my life, but have been increasingly realizing only now how inconvenient and embarassing it can get in social situations
Posted Sun, 7 Jul 2013 in Genetics
Answered by Dr. Manjeet Mehta 3 hours later
Excessive sweating is known as Hyperhidrosis. It could be either generalized i.e. in the full body, or localized i.e. in some specific parts of the body. The most common areas are the hands, feet, armpits, and the groin area as there is high concentration of sweat glands in these areas
The exact cause of excessive sweating is unknown; and can range from over-activity of the sympathetic nervous system to simple triggers such as nervousness or excitement. Other factors include: certain foods, some drinks, smoking, coffee, etc.
Simple treatment would be: find out the cause (emotional situations, eating), stay away from it, use deodorants
There are several syndromes in which excessive sweating has been reported. Eg: Sweaty Palms Syndrome, Harlequin Syndrome, etc. For a complete diagnosis, physical examination and family history would have to be done. The same can be done with any Geneticist / Dermatologist