Have excessive sweating, hypothyroidism and have not taken medicine, lost weight. Cause?

I have an issue with excessive sweating. Sometimes when i drink water or many other drinks i sweat quite a bit. I have Hypothyroidism and have not taken any medicine in a year and i have lost 40 pounds (though i do take care of myself). Can my excessive sweating be do to my thyroid problems? Menopause ? Should i be worried or is the sweating normal.
Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 1 hour later
If you truly have hypothyroidism then you should be on medication.

An accurate diagnosis and treatment are critical to ensure adequate management of your thyroid status.

Read more about this on this weblink

Regarding sweating, there can be various reasons for this and it may need extensive testing

I will go over a few endocrine/hormonal causes:

1 Menopause can cause hot flashes and sweating. If your periods have stopped/become irregular, and if your blood test for FSH /LH show elevated levels, then it is likely you have reached menopause. This is considered early menopause

2 Having an over-active thyroid can cause sweating too.

3 There are some rare conditions like pheochromocytoma that may cause spells of sweating, chest pain, shortness of breath, heart racing etc.
A good screening test for this is a blood test for 'plasma fractionated metanephrines'