Have excessive sweating. Sweats on back, face and head. Cause and treatment?

My mother has a problem of excessive sweating, would like to know what could be the reason for this. Her sweating tendency is more than normal but this year it's too high. I would like to know the cause and treatment of this. She mainly sweats on her back, face and head.
Posted Sun, 11 Aug 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Prasad 24 hours later

Excessive sweating known as hyperhidrosis is not very uncommon condition. It can be related to various causes. Few known causes include familial condition, anxiety, thyroid over activity, pheochromocytoma, medications and neurological disorders. Some women post menopause develops hyperhidrosis. Besides these, environmental factor - hot weather can make up perspire more.

The treatment is targeted on the cause. If the cause is not found or cannot be treated, the condition can be kept under control with drugs or surgery. Aluminium chloride is a good antiperspirant which can be used. Severe cases can be handled by oral drugs like anticholinergics. She can consult an endocrinologist for initial evaluation and treatment.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Best Regards
Follow-up: Have excessive sweating. Sweats on back, face and head. Cause and treatment? 2 minutes later
Thanks a ton doctor.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 46 minutes later
You are welcome.

I would appreciate if you can close this discussion and leave your feed backs.