Have excessive abdominal pian during periods along with nausea. Taken painkiller. Any advice?

I have exceess of abdominal pian duing my periods along with some nausea. have to take 2-3 painkillers for first 2 days. pls advise
Posted Sat, 4 Aug 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 25 minutes later
The medical term for painful periods is dysmenorrhoea. Doctors talk of primary and secondary dysmenorrhea: 
Primary dysmenorrhoea is the most common type of painful periods. This is where there is no underlying problem of the womb (uterus) or pelvis. It often occurs in teenagers and women in their 20's.

Secondary dysmenorrhea: This tends to start later than primary dysmenorrhea, usually affecting women between the ages of 30 and 45 years. It is caused by an underlying problem, such as endometriosis or pelvic inflammatory disease. Endometriosis is a condition where tissue similar to the lining of the womb is located outside the womb, but still bleeds on a monthly basis. Pelvic inflammatory disease is caused by long-standing infection in the pelvis. Secondary dysmenorrhoea may also be caused by fibroids or an intra-uterine contraceptive device (IUD), such as the coil.

To make out the exact diagnosis,you must consult a gynecologist for proper investigations and ultimate treatment will depend upon finding the cause.However pain treatment is done the same way as primary dysmenorrhea is treated.

Although you are having such type of pain since the age of 14 years,still you must be investigated properly.

Treatment consists of warmth and pain killers.

Warmth: you may find it soothing to hold a hot water bottle against your lower abdomen, or to have a hot bath. The pain often does not last long, and this may be all that you need.  A warm bath or shower may also help.

Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory painkillers: these can greatly ease the pain in about 7 out of 10 cases. They work by blocking the effect of the prostaglandin chemicals that are thought to cause the pain. Also, non-steroidal anti-inflammatories usually reduce the amount of bleeding. There are several types and brands, and most need a prescription. However, you can buy one type (ibuprofen) at pharmacies.You can take this in the dose of 400 mg three times a day for 2 to 3 days.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck