Have excess phlegm on throat with swallowing difficulty. Had disc replacement operation. Reason?

Jan 2013

I am wondering if you can help me. I am a 32 year old female, Asthmatic and had a disc replacement operation on either c6 or c7 in 2005... The remaining disc is bulging.

Recently I have noticed I have had excessive phlem problems from my throat, and it comes from nowhere, once this happens it sits on my chest and affects my asthma, at the same time (normally when I'm coughing phlem up) I get pins and needles in my throat. I do also sometimes have swallowing problems when Im eating fatty foods or breads and the food gets stuck and sometimes the phlem attacks start when im eating foods like bread. The most worrying symptom is, I stopped breathing in my sleep recently and it was a very frightening experience. My dr is also treating my blocked sinus's with a nasal spray.

I'm wondering if this is all linked? Is it allergies perhaps? If so what should avoid and what should I be eating?

Look forward to your response.

Kind Regards,
Posted Fri, 28 Dec 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 31 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.
Asthma is due to constriction of airways with difficulty in breathing.
Airways gets plugged with phlegm with unable to expectorate.
Recurrent attempts to get rid off of phlegm may damage in chest muscles.

Difficulty in swallowing with pins & needle sensation and aggravation with fatty food suggest infection in throat.
Bacterial infection of tonsils (acute bacterial tonsillitis) are commonly precipitated by fatty food.
This dormant infection may be a continuous source of sinus infection and excessive phlegm formation during asthmatic attacks.
Occlusion of airways may stop breathing and these attacks are more common during night times due to low temperature.
Although asthma is allergic in nature, but your symptomatology suggest some sort of infection.
You should avoid cold drinks, sour, yogurt and fatty food.
You should also perform lukewarm water gargles three times in day.
During gargling, add only a pinch of salt in the water.

You should also consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ ENT surgeon and should get thorough check up.
You should also take complete antibiotic course along with mucolytics.
Mucolytic helps in dilution of phlegm and spit it out.
Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava