Have eustachian tube dysfunction. Fluid started leaking and feeling pressure in ear. Cure?

ENT Specialist
I've been having issues with ear infections my whole life.Last year i ended up with eustachian tube dysfunction right after getting an ear issue now is that the last week i've been getting this "leaking" or pressure sensation off and on in my right ear.It's worse when i'm lying down and last night i couldn't sleep because it felt like my eardrum was "drowning" in fluid.i've also had a very dull pain off and on.i don't think it's an ear infection because i've had those feels like my eustachian tubes again.i've been treating it with flonase but it doesn't seem to work. The last couple of times i've gone to the doctor because of this the exam turned out normal. what could this be and should i consider going to the doctors again?
Posted Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Get an Impedance Audiogram (Tympanogram) done.

2. Get nasal endosocpy done. The inner end of the eustachian tube and the nasopharynx should be examined. Palatal movements and the opening and closing of the eustachian tube can be checked.

3. If the Impedance Audiogram is normal, then there may be a tiny eardrum perforation which is causing the sensation of the air leak or 'drowning' (bubbling) sensation as the middle ear behind the eardrum is always wet with normal secretions.

4. Ideally it should not be possible to get a good air tight seal with the Tympanometry probe, however in extremely tiny eardrum perforations, it may be possible.

5. Some patients get such sensations in the ear with intact ear drums where the compliance of the eardrum is high or where the eustachian tube is patulous. have you recently lost any weight?

6. You do have pressure sensations in the right ear and dull pain off & on. With this long history of eustachian tube dysfunction, I do not expect the eardrum to be absolutely normal. Get another opinion oh the ear drums as to whether they are dull, retracted, atelectatic or thinned out. Also get the movement on Valsalva Meneuver and Siegelisation checked.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.