Have esophageal varices banded. Is it safe to take a long flight?

Geriatrics Specialist
About three weeks ago,I had five esophageal varices banded. Is it safe to take a long international flight, such as from XXXXXXX to Italy? Are there any risks due to the changes in air pressure on such a flight?
Posted Fri, 15 Mar 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Surendiran Gaj 27 minutes later
Hi there,

It is advisable to be at rest for only two days after esophageal banding that too to stop minor vessels bleeds after banding, as it’s been three weeks now, nothing to worry.
You can make long air journey, the pressure change won’t have any risk.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Thank you.