Have esophageal spasms, chest pain and burping. Done gall bladder surgery

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2013
Jan 2013

Question
I had gallbladder surgery a month ago. Recently, I've been having what feels like constant esophageal spasms, which I had periodically months leading up to the surgery. I also have had constant dull chest pain under my right rib cage, which sometimes radiates to the center of my chest and back. Also burping a lot.
Posted Wed, 12 Sep 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 15 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Do you have difficulty in eating?
Do you have yellowness in eyes and urine/ itching in body?
Do you have watery shit/ vomiting/ fever/ spasmodic abdominal pain?
What was your liver function test report before surgery?
Do you have UGI endoscopy? What was its report?
Do you have your chest x ray?
"I also have had constant dull chest pain under my right rib cage, which sometimes radiates to the center of my chest and back" this pain was persisting before surgery and started after surgery.
If pain is persisting before the surgery then there may be chances of following disease: hepatitis, lower chest pathology such as pneumonia/ pleural effusion, diaphragmatic pathology, esophageal pathology such as spasm/ ulcer.
If pain is started after surgery then there may be possibilities of any fluid collection around surgical site, pneumonia in right lower chest, pancreatitis.
You should consult with your treating surgeon and go for following test (if not performed previously): serum amylase & lipase, complete blood count, liver function test, endoscopy, barium swallow x rays, ultrasound imaging and CT/ MRI scan if needed.
Put your query if you have.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Have esophageal spasms, chest pain and burping. Done gall bladder surgery 21 minutes later
I don't have difficulty eating, yellow eyes, itching, vomiting, abdominal spasms, fever, etc. However, I had chest pain that came and went in the same area before the surgery. Before the surgery my doctor said that my liver function was normal. I did not have a UGI endoscooy and my chest X-ray was normal.

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 2 hours later
You should go for UGI endoscopy for rule out any gastric etiology.
Thanks,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava