Have esophageal cancer and unable to swallow alcohol. Looking for relief

General Surgeon
I have esophageal cancer and cannot tolerate swallowing alcohol. I am in my last days and was wondering if i could try an alcohol enema to ease pain and mood and to enjoy my family.
Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 11 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Alcohol enema is not a good idea at all. Such way of alcohol intake can cause its intoxication as a tolerable dosage of alcohol is much lower than with oral intake.
As you are a cancer patient, narcotic pain killers (like morphine patches) should be prescribed to you and this should improve your general state.
However, if you decide to do this enema, please be careful, and apply less alcohol than usually.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Have esophageal cancer and unable to swallow alcohol. Looking for relief 11 minutes later
I have been on oxy and morphine and stopped them twoo months ago when I was informed I was terminal. They made me sick and even sicker for several days when I quit. My mind is sharper without them...I take in more memories and experiences. I was never a drinker but remember the mood elevating qualities of the potion. Could i try a 6-8 oz enema with 1 standard shot of whiskey mixed with it? Do I need to go even less than that? Dont are not going to kill me. I already have that taken care of. However maybe your advice may help me to laugh a few times with my loved ones in the days left.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 7 minutes later
I suggest you to try half of standard shot and see the reaction. Wait about 10 minutes and if no effect, try another half of it. Alcohol tolerance is very individual, that is why you should reach the accurate dosage that way.
As you are from USA, there are some states where for cancer patient THC (marijuana) is legal. Maybe you should try it as well. It can bring much benefit for you.

Hope this will help.
Follow-up: Have esophageal cancer and unable to swallow alcohol. Looking for relief 3 minutes later
Thank you. I am actually going to try both. My son is bringing what he calls edibles with thc...from a medical marijuana dispensary. He says it will increase my asppetite as i have lost 35 lbs since the new year. Will follow advice on half a shot first...Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 minutes later
THC should also ease the pain, improve your mood, help with depression( if such is present). It increases appetite indeed. As for appetite, you may also try Megace.

Hope this will help.