Have erythema nodosum nodules on legs. Is this dangerous?

I have earthyma nodosum nodules on my legs for the past 7 yrs or so
Doctors cannot diagnose why I get them have had quite a few tests done
Could this be dangerous? Any ideas
Posted Fri, 29 Mar 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Mamun Kabir 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

Erythema nodosum are the painful, palpable, dusky blue red nodules which are commonly seen on the lower legs. It is associated with bacterial, viral or fungal infection, TB, some drugs (sulphonamide, OCP) & some systemic diseases (sarcoidosis, inflammatory bowel disease etc). The lesions resolve slowly over a month leaving bruise-like marks behind. Here the treatment is antiinflammatory drugs and tapering dose of steroid.

It is very unlikely that these lesions will persist for a prolonged time. If lesions are persisting for years, it may be a different kind of lesions. Consult a dermatologist to understand whether or not it is a concerning one. You may need a biopsy to understand about the severity better.

I hope I have helped with your query. Please write if you have another query.